NYPK Community
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Private messagesPrivate messages   Log inLog in 

Go to
NYPK Community Forum Index -> Tech Tips & Performance

Hard to Breathe. Any ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGrath

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Hard to Breathe. Any ideas? Reply with quote
I had a sort of 2 day flu about a week or so ago, and ever since then I have been having a hell of a time breathing... especially if I'm working out or doing something strenuous.

I first noticed this while at work, and just by doing some routine things on the job (I clean carpets/air ducts, so pulling hoses, loading the trucks etc. which isnt HARD but it will make you breathe a little) I would be out of breath and trying to take in deep breaths until I couldn't fill my lungs anymore. It feels like normal breathes don't help, and I have to take these deep ones to feel any sort of comfort.

Also, a few days ago I went for a run. Normally, I'll complete a fast 3 mile with no real problem. That day, I didn't even make it to the 1 mile mark before I turned around and went home because I was just so exhausted. I was breathing as though I had sprinted the entire way, when I was moving at a comfortable jog.

Things that I think may have caused this:
1. First off, maybe it's some sort of post symptom because I was sick. Hopefully, if it's just that, it'll go away.
2. Some of you may have read that thread about my girlfriend being in the hospital, and how those 2 days I was sick was because of stress. I don't feel stressed anymore, since she's been out of the hospital and 200% better than she was before... but could the stress symptoms last a little bit longer?

I've spoken to a few friends, who think I could have possibly developed exercise induced asthma. I have high doubts in this, since nobody in my family has any sort of asthma, and it just seems that it's linked to me being sick more than something that just popped up.
And, everybody thus far has told me to go to a doctor. Which... basically I can't. Unlike many, I do not have any sort of health insurance. My job has yet to provide it, and other jobs that I have had never did provide it. I'm still paying off the $3000 bill from when I fractured my metacarpal. I'm still making car payments on my $17,000 Sentra. As far as money is concerned... I don't have much of anything and I simply cannot afford to go to the doctors when they will easily charge me an arm and a leg for a simple check up.

Let me know what you guys think. I know many of you have probably gone through something similar. Before making this post, I was doing a pull up workout. 15, break, 15, break, etc. and I stopped because I couldn't breathe. At the end of this post, I'm breathing easier now, but I still have that insane urge to just suck in air and fill my lungs to 100% capacity. It's very uncomfortable...

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Might help Reply with quote
My advice may come off kinda Mr. Miagi, however it might help. Back when I was in high school my wrestiling coach used to have me breath in threw my nose out of my mouth. It is a bit of a bitch to just change your style of of breathing in the middle of nowhere so here's an ecersice... What you can do is sprint untill you are out of breath, once you are out of breath walk untill you are ready to run again, while you are walking do this breathing technique. Once you are ready to running again start jogging at a combfortable rate doing this breathing technique, keep jogging while breathing like this. If you find that you cannot jog and breath like this at first you can repeat the first step(that's sprint then walk and breath then repeat) I used to do this exercise every morning, I ran shorter distances every day however when I ran for distance I found myself running for longer without running out of breath, so I hope this helps. Have a good run.
McGrath

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I already breathe through my nose most of the time when doing any sort of exercise (Or even just... everyday life to be honest)

A lot of fingers are getting pointed at the seasonal allergies and sinus congestion. While I'm typing this, I can breathe pretty easy, but when I was out and about during work today... I was having a hell of a time catching my breath while I did anything.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
vVTalonVv wrote:

A lot of fingers are getting pointed at the seasonal allergies and sinus congestion. While I'm typing this, I can breathe pretty easy, but when I was out and about during work today... I was having a hell of a time catching my breath while I did anything.

Well i can kinda aggree with the sesonal not even allergie wise i find myself out of breath just running in the cold.

Peace & Love
aaagul45

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is a bit of a bitch to just change your style of of breathing in the middle of nowhere so here's an ecersice... What you can do is sprint untill you are out of breath, once you are out of breath walk untill you are ready to run again, while you are walking do this breathing technique. Once you are ready to running again start jogging at a combfortable rate doing this breathing technique, keep jogging while breathing like this.???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NYPK Community Forum Index -> Tech Tips & Performance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: